Friday, July 31, 2009

Fryin' to Flyin'

I recently went to Hot Springs for work for the Arkansas Sheriff's Association Summer Convention. I was very nervous about the trip because, although two male co-workers went as well, I felt like I was going it alone. Plus, I had to stay at The Austin hotel, not The Embassy Suites. The Austin was terrible. That did not help the trip at all. But I survived and I'm here to tell about it. Through the process though I realized I might just be high maintenance. Who knew.

When I arrived Sunday afternoon, my company, Tiger Correctional Services, hosted a Fish Fry for the Sheriffs and their families at what was called the Arc Isle party house on Lake Hamilton. For those of you that are familiar with Jonesboro, it was similar to The Pavilion at ASU, but about 30 years older and more... "open air". That was hard work too let me tell ya! Running back and forth getting fish, onion rings, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, etc. I was exhausted, but it was a great event. We planned for about 100 and 200 showed up. Probably more actually.

The next few days were good. We made good contacts with Pulaski County and I plan to follow up with them today. We took a large group out to Bella Arti for dinner Monday evening. Interesting to be on the vendor side of a conference. I've been on the attendee side when I worked at the clinic. It was nice being catered to, but this time I had to do the catering. It was still fun though. The most fun part of the conference was Tuesday night. They had a dance & a band. I love to dance. Then I played poker til 2am with some Sheriffs and one of our competitors. Ha! I lost though....

On the way home, and let me tell I couldn't get home quick enough, I stopped in Little Rock at the River Market to have lunch with my old college friend Paul. I don't think I had seen Paul since Christmas 2007 when Richard & Laura stopped in Jonesboro to visit. We had lunch at The Flying Fish. My first experience of fish tacos. It was good. But I was mostly thrilled I was able to find the place & park without getting lost. Gotta love the Garmin! Paul and I had a nice visit. Then I hopped in the car and drove home. In the pouring down rain. Scary rain. But I was in such a hurry to get home that I didn't want to pull over, so I trudged through. :)



4 comments:

Mrs. Hughes said...

NOT FAIR NOT FAIR on two counts...
1) fish fry (people here don't know what those are we don't think)

2) you got to eat at the Flying Fish (that's only my fav. place in LR!!!!)

Darn you!

Richard said...

1) I want fried fish and hush puppies.

2) I'm still laughing about you dancing and playing poker.

3) You're a good networker who can fit in with any crowd.

4) I want fish tacos.

5) I want to hang out with you and Paul. (I'm already planning this in my head around Christmas)

Mrs. Hughes said...

I'm back. I think you could have taken a picture of the tablecloth and I would salivate.

Autumn said...

I miss you guys too!!! Thanks for the encouraging words Richard. :)

Getting together at Christmas would Rock!!!

So, the fish tacos were good. But, I have so say I wasn't a huge fan of the onion-slaw stuff. But the tangy sauce was dee-lish!